A former criminal prosecutor, David championed numerous pieces of legislation to improve public safety in San Francisco.
- Improved earthquake readiness by spearing the successful campaigns to pass June 2010's Proposition B and June 2014's Proposition A, twin bond measures to rebuild a reliable water supply for our city in emergencies and disasters.
- Expanded funding for fire and police stations, securing resources to build a new police command center and seismically upgrading critical firefighting facilities.
- Established standards for bio-detector monitoring of hazardous materials in downtown buildings.
- Regulated tour buses that created safety, parking and quality of life issues for residents living near tourist destinations.
- Cracked down on nightlife violence by beefing up security requirements, granted the Entertainment Commission the power to shut down clubs with a history of public safety concerns, regulated the party promoter industry for the first time, and required parking lot operators near places of entertainment to ensure the safety of their lots after hours.